Primex Color, Compounding & Additives was originally founded in 1957 in New York as Frank V. O’Neil Color. Mr. O’Neil grew the company at a time when plastics were just becoming commercialized. He relocated several times due to the growth of the custom colorants market, with his final plant being located in Garfield, NJ, just west of New York City.
The Garfield facility was purchased by Primex Plastics Corporation in 1988 to serve their colorant needs in the rapidly expanding sheet extrusion market, in addition to continuing the growth of its external color concentrate business. Primex history includes acquiring a second manufacturing plant in Jasper, Tennessee, 20 miles northwest of Chattanooga, in 1993.